Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bear With Me. Salamanca Update.

HOLA AMIGOS. So yeah. I have decided to take this time to update you all on my travels, since I begin more of them on Thursday and feel I should catch myself up. SO.

April 9th, Salamanca: A lovely day-trip with my engineer friends to the place where another good friend of mine (ALYSSA!) studied abroad last spring. It's located about an hour and a half west of Madrid. I wish we could've seen more than we did, but it was still a nice trip. Sunny and lovely, thank goodness. Our first stop was the Plaza Mayor, which looked a lot like Madrid's except for a few architectural differences that Mario (yessss!) pointed out to us. He even took us to one of his favorite bars there for tapas, where I tried patatas revolconas, which are basically mashed potatoes with garlic, tons of paprika, and bacon. Def gonna try to make it in the states since shouldn't be too hard. But let's consider who we're talking about here. HANYWAY.

We then went and looked around the Catedral (again: humongous and beautiful. but a wedding was about to start!) and even went up to the roof! The cathedral was built so that it had basically two parts from two different centuries, essentially splitting it into the New Cathedral and Old Cathedral. And then we went and poked around in the prestigious Universidad de Salamanca, which was founded in 1218 and where students from all over the world continue to study. Pretty cool!
Then we went to the Museum of Art Noveau and Art Deco, which I thought was so interesting! It featured mostly 20th century art with not only paintings and sculptures but collections of dolls, jewelry, pottery, and toys. I wish I had taken more pictures of it. Boo. We ended our visit with a FANTASTIC lunch at a swanky restaurant where we were served ham and bread (of course), pork covered in bacon, potatoes, CHEESECAKE, and the best wine I had ever had (until I visited Sicily, that is!). All in all, a great trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment